Saturday 15 October 2011

Warning

It seems that some people are distributing prepatched copies of a certain game. I'm sure everyone involved knows who they are.

This is not allowed. There's a warning prominently displayed on RPGMaker Trans about this.


For all parties involved: Strike 1. 3 Strikes, and I'm afraid bad things will have to happen.

Edit (mk2):
Apologies to Anon4565636: Anon4565636 reposted a pretty offensive comment made on RPGMaker Trans elsewhere and I mistook it for his/her own post. The only thing I'm keeping from my original response though is an answer to the allegation that I am building a botnet (rest from previous response):

Finally, on the serious allegation of me trying to build a botnet: Not a chance. First off, RPGMaker Trans is written in Python - wrong language for a computer virus. Any competent reverse engineer should be able to verify that it is just a Python script packaged with cx_freeze - no funny business. Whenever I referred to "consequences" in the past, it was with reference to either Whitelists or Blacklists being implemented within RPGMaker Trans, but I decided against this as it would be unfair against the majority of legitimate users. At the moment though, consequences means more along the lines of "certain game developers are threatening to upload a 'prepatched' build with a virus in, to teach people who go against their wishes a lesson".

7 comments:

  1. What will happen on the third strike? Will you be out? Will I be out? Who is counting the strikes? Is it possible for there to be two strikes and infinite foul balls? Can the batter win?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whilst I appreciate the humor, it's more of a thing to do with information I've got from the original creators of the game.

    Actually, some of the things that they're discussing are really quite worrying. Involving producing their own prepatched version containing a time-bomb virus.

    As to who counts: I really don't know. Originally it was going to be "3 strikes and they use the RPGMaker Trans opt-out"... but I don't know if that's still the case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. >Implying we care if you take away the auto trans.

    We'll just make our own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That wasn't me who wrote that, I was just reposting what I saw on an imageboard.

    Here's some advice. I don't think anyone would have anything against you monetizing your work. Just be open about it. From my experience, users will go out of their way to support a publisher who makes things more convenient for them. When I see publishers who put up "support the developer" links I rarely care about them (and on some occasions, I go out of my way to make things worse for them by uploading it to mediafire). On the other hand, when I see publishers who have "please support the developer" links but also have mediafire links, I go out of my way to help them by downloading from all of their links. A little bit of convenience goes a long way.

    By the way, is there a reason why you haven't posted the source?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I am open about it; there was that post I referenced beforehand, which basically states that I want FTP upload availability (which Mediafire doesn't have), and there's another somewhere about me removing ads and trying to get support via easy-share downloads.

    Perhaps at some point I'll write an auto-uploader for Mediafire, but I'm afraid that's on the bottom of a very long to-do list.

    As to releasing source: there's three reasons why I don't release source. The first is that I have a field-of-use restriction (don't upload prepatched games). The second is the opt-out for game devs (which would be lost with a source code release). And the third: frankly, the source is a mess. I actually maintain an open source project (under a different alias) and let me tell you: open source is hard. Simply put, the codebase would require a huge cleanup before I'd consider it suitable for release, and I'm afraid that's not a high priority for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Umm, while I understand the developers frustrations, isn't uploading a game containing a virus kind of... well... Illegal, with potentially damning consequences for Them?
    I'm pretty sure that's ill-advised, if combating piracy and the like was as easy as uploading virus-laden copies of the software, and it was legal, you'd see every major developer doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is illegal. Still doesn't change the fact they're certainly discussing it. And with a limited scope virus, they most likely wouldn't get caught.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.