Sunday 11 March 2012

So, about that dedicated website...

Well, I've been investigating stuff, and turns out things aren't perhaps as rosy as I thought.

Turns out things are more complex than my initial survey of hosting providers suggested. Long story short, to actually run a website I'd need about $10 a month all told. So, whilst I've very grateful that just over half the respondents to the little survey said they would be prepared to fork out some money to move RPGMaker Trans onto a dedicated site, the finances don't work out.

Damn, that's a shame. Oh well, maybe if I can get some other projects going I'll be able to work something out... but for now, a dedicated site will remain a pipe dream.

Target is for the new version of RPGMaker Trans, with speedy 2k support, to be out by the end of the month. Then I'll move onto either automatic machine translation or XP/VX support.

4 comments:

  1. sounds good. I'll look forward to the new release.

    Thought you had gone and died on us or something, you haven't posted since January lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, what? 10$ a month? You think it'd be a problem raising that level of support? I think you'd do well to set up some sort of donation option anyway; sound the waters don't'cha know? I feel like I already owe you something for what you've provided for free, and since you don't demand anything, I wouldn't mind paying. (Yes, it's the topsy-turvy economy of our cyber-tomorrow).

    Anyways, plenty of other projects of various levels of hobbydom have received plenty of freely given funds from supporters. If you need money to keep working, or want money to improve the project, give people a simple, trustworthy way to transfer funds (e.g. PayPal, Google Checkout).

    If you feel like it'd put unwanted pressure on you, consider simply setting up a donation link for anyone who wants to chip in some payback for your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whilst I appreciate the sentiment, the user-base of RPGMaker Trans is approximately 700 people (Based on download counts, allowing some people to redownload). Just doing a bog standard conversion on the number of people who pay for software, I can expect in the region of 70-140 USD - so at best, a years funding.

    Perhaps if this wasn't so niche. At the moment, with only RPGMaker 2k support + no auto translation, RPGMaker Trans is limited in it's appeal. Oh well.

    And as for a donation link? Eh, perhaps. Maybe with the next release or something...

    ReplyDelete
  4. GjustG: Whilst I appreciate the offer of hosting, I do try to keep this site suitable for all ages - hence your site is not really appropriate (and why I removed your comment). I'm also not too keen on relying on a strangers generosity for hosting, although that's just my own paranoia.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.